Teaching with Technology
Module 2 Assignment 2
July 18, 2017
- Identify at least five classroom technology resources that are available at your college or a college where you wish to teach in the future.
Five different types of technology resources that I have taught with and wish to teach with in the future are: Interactive White Boards, Computers both Mac and PC, Pod Casts, iPod/mp3 players and video teaching.
- Explain which technology resources you are comfortable using for teaching and learning, and those with which you need to develop familiarity and/or skills prior to using them for teaching and learning.
I am comfortable using Interactive White Boards. I have used them in a limited capacity and thought they were very useful way to engaging students. I am also comfortable with using PC’s, iPod/mp3 players to teach reading, language arts and social studies. I am not as comfortable using Mac computers or teaching using video such as lecture or Pod Cast. I do have experience using Video to teach using DVD’s or even VHS tapes.
Using video as a learning tool is great because it reaches the auditory, visual spatial, verbal linguistic, kinesthetic. Using video educators can not only reach the multiple intelligences but they can build on student’s prior knowledge. “While listening to music, or watching video, visual types can “see” words of the song, they are good at painting, have a sense for colors, they love to dress nicely, to engage in photography, movies and video” (Gardner, 2006). If I teach on-line in the future I would like to be able to use video in the form of power point lectures, or recorded messages with demonstrations and question and answer to stay connected to my students.
- Identify professional development opportunities and resources available at the college that you could access to develop your familiarity and/or skills.
Every year K-12 school and universities have professional development to learn the latest technology and update skills to perform in the classroom. I could access one or several of these professional development times to continue to hone my technology skills.
- Identify professional development opportunities and supplemental resources (external to the college) that are available to you to develop your familiarity and/or skills.
Extra supplemental resources that can be useful would be to take a class at the library, or the online library at my university. Most communities offer classes to improve technology skills. I could also read up to date information on the internet or the library.
- Explain how you might use these resources to improve your professional practice.
I would use these resources to stay up to date on the ever-changing world of technology. I would benefit from them and use them in my professional practice by integrating the knowledge that I gain to my classroom. An example would be learning to use Twitter to stay connected to your online classrooms. “Educators in a variety of disciplines are integrating Twitter into their courses. Twitter is being used as a back-channel in large lecture classrooms to allow students to engage in discussions and extend their learning outside of the classroom” (Evans, 2014).
- Provide at least one recommendation to the college for improving its support of classroom technology.
I would suggest that yearly K-12 and Universities have professional development classes. In these classes I would recommend having people of many ages there to demonstrate how to use the most recent technology, explain how to use it in daily life and classrooms. The reason for this would be that because technology changes on almost a daily, weekly and yearly basis to stay up to date educators need to know from those who understand each type of technology best.
- Justify your blog post with specific references to the Learning Resources and at least one additional scholarly, peer or jury-reviewed, article.
I justify my blog post ideas because technology is important for the future of education. According to (Page, 2016) There are ten fundamental reasons why technology is important in education. Hopefully, they can act as the rationale for technology plans in schools. I will list the ten fundamental reasons if you would like to read the 10 reasons in-depth please go to this link.
- Expansion of time and place
- Depth of understanding
- Learning Vs Teaching
- New Media for Self-Expression
- Going Global
- Individual Pacing and Sequence
- Personal Productivity
- Lower Cost
Evans, C. (2014). Twitter for teaching: Can social media be used to enhance the process of learning? British Journal of Educational Technology, 45, 902–915. doi:10.1111/bjet.12099 Freire, P. (1998). Pedagogy of freedom: Ethics, democracy, and courage. Lanham,