For this assignment, I have chosen to use Twitter as my technology.
- Twitter can be used in a variety of ways. For my purpose, I would use it to stay in contact with my student teaching cohorts. I would make a small Twitter group and use it to stay in contact. Student teachers could quickly check in at the beginning or end of the day with quick questions or concerns.
- Benefits of using Twitter are that it is a far reaching back channel. It can be used for small groups or in very large groups. It can be used for teaching. “Any school or classroom can begin using Twitter as an important part of the learning process. To help the beginners out, we’ve developed a list of educational hashtags that can be used by teachers and students who are looking to connect beyond the classroom” (Mull B, and November A, Oct 2012. P. 1).
- #lrnchat (social media and education)
- #blendchat (blended learning)
- #pbl/#pblchat (project-based learning)
- #ntchat (for new teachers)
- #gbl (game-based learning, from serious games and
- simulations to video games and more)
- #edtech (education technology)
- #BYOD(Bring Your Own Device)
- #iPaded(iPads in education)
- #EdApps(education and learning apps
- #profdev (for professional development)
- #bullying #cybersafety. (for PSA of bullying and cyber safety
- #scichat (to record local water health levels)
- Challenges to using Twitter are that it is yet another technology that one must be responsible for checking into each day. “Unfortunately, many students do not see the educational value of a tool they might be using every day”(Mull B, and November A, Oct 2012. P. 1). Educators need to make it an authentic experience.
- I will use Twitter within my discipline to assist with the following:
Encourage students during their student teacher training and when they start their internship.
I will use Twitter to help my students with any questions they may have regarding implementing instructions.
I will use Twitter to assist my students in classroom management issues, data collection, grading, meeting with parents, technology questions, or any number of questions that they may have as a rookie teacher.
- I will use Twitter to foster student engagement daily by checking in with my students. I will send out a tweet to check on my students asking how everyone is and asking a check in question. Students will be required to respond by the end of the day using a hashtag such as #tautengwIWB. (only the group must be able to read it) I will remind students that they can send a private question to the message box if they would like to or the open messages.
I will also encourage my students to try using some of the hashtags for education
- The strategies I will use to implement and sustain this technology in my teaching.
- The strategies I will use will be to give everyone in the student teaching block or group the same twitter group address. I will give my students a basic list of rules that the group will be asked to abide by. Students will be asked to check in at least once a day.
I will commit to using Twitter for a semester with my first group of students as a pilot test. I will commit to checking in once to twice a day during the week days and once on Saturday. I will answer questions in order of importance i.e. if someone needs something right away I will answer it quickly. I will let my students know I will check the in box on Saturday but not on Sunday so we can all have a day of rest.
Mull B, and November A, Oct 2012, November Learning.com. How Twitter Can Be Used as a Powerful Educational Tool Retrieved From: http://novemberlearning.com/educational-resources-for-educators/teaching-and-learning-articles/how-twitter-can-be-used-as-a-powerful-educational-tool
Twitter, 2017. Teach Thought the Complete Guide to Twitter Hashtags for Education.
Retrieved From: http://www.teachthought.com/twitter-hashtags-for-teacher/